The Business Council of Alberta has been looking at the response to COVID-19 through the lens of protecting people, business and economy. Over the past few episodes, we have looked broadly at how well government programs have supported Canadians and businesses through an unparalleled economic crisis and what gaps exist within those programs.
In this episode, we look at how a massive driver of our economy—small business—is dealing with the economic fallout of COVID-19.
2020 has not been an easy year for small businesses in Canada. COVID-19 is just one in a series of challenging events that the small business community has had to respond to.
As a result of the COVID-19 economic fallout,
- Only 20% of small and medium enterprises are open right now
- 22% have no sales
- 1/3 saw revenue declines of 50% or more
- 51% may not survive past May 2020
Many are struggling for support to pay rent, wages and other fixed costs. The need for big, bold and fast solutions from Ottawa and the provinces is immediate. And the support is there, but is it enough, and how many businesses are left out?
Dan Kelly is the President & CEO of the Canadian Federation for Independent Business. An influential and expert voice in small business issues, Kelly joins AlbertaBETTER co-hosts Adam Legge and Scott Crockatt to discuss how well government programs like Canada Emergency Business Account and Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy provides support for hard-hit businesses and what the road to re-opening the economy and recovery looks like.
In This Episode:
- Top challenges small business is experiencing right now
- How well current government programs support small business and where gaps exist
- How provincial governments can step up and provide some immediate relief
- Opportunities to allow some sort of economic activity to happen within small business, while still protecting public health
- What the road to recovery looks like for small business, and how this crisis will shift business models perhaps permanently
- The challenges that small businesses are facing right are unprecedented, and many are struggling to access the support they need, even with the government programs, and without proper support immediately, the risk of businesses closing permanently is high, but with small changes to the government programs, we can reduce that risk and look to start to re-open and recover
- Government of Canada programs for business
- A Guide to COVID-19 Supports for Business (INFOGRAPHIC)
- CFIB COVID-19 Small Business Help Centre
- Pandemic Petition: join small businesses fighting for more relief
Share this episodeSmall businesses across Canada have been acutely affected by #COVID19. Dan Kelly of @CFIB joins AlbertaBETTER hosts @awlegge and @scottcrockatt to talk about what small business needs to get through this situation, both now and as we… Click To Tweet
Check us out on social media
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!
This podcast is produced in partnership with Work Nicer.