In 2015, at aged 28, Chief Billy Morin became the youngest elected Chief in the history of Maskêkosihk (pronounced Muss-Kay-Go-Sik), or as you might know it, Enoch Cree Nation. After serving with the Government of Alberta for a few years, Chief Morin returned to serve the Enoch Cree community for the next six years and lead the Nation through an evolution, focusing on economic and business development.
Chief Morin is perhaps one of the most dynamic and innovative leaders in Alberta and brings his passion for business and entrepreneurship to every project:
- He led a partnership investment with the Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation, Paul First Nation, Whitefish Lake First Nation, Kehewin Cree Nation and O’Chiese First Nation to purchase an ownership stake in the major Cascade Power Plant project.
- He has worked with the City of Edmonton to develop an urban reserve within the city.
- He is the co-chair for the Edmonton Region Hydrogen Hub.
And this just scratches the surface.
This episode of The Brief is jam packed with stories, inspiration, and lessons of how we—both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people—can acknowledge the truth of our shared history and come together in “Reconcili-Action” to drive forward change and create a better future for all who call this place home.
In this episode:
- Journey to becoming Chief of Enoch Cree Nation (and Grand Chief of Treaty 6)
- Leadership priorities as Chief of Enoch Cree
- Chief Morin’s passion for entrepreneurship and economic development
- MOU between Enoch Cree Nation and the City of Edmonton
- How the Cascade Power Plant investment came to be
- Advice to leaders in working with Indigenous communities
- Urban reserves—and why they’re important
- Reflections on what Canadians can do to support reconciliation
- How we might life better for all people in Alberta
In this episode:
- Cascade Power Plant
- Edmonton Region Hydrogen Hub
- Enoch Cree Nation
- Alberta Indigenous Opportunities Corporation
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans. See more episodes here.
Share this episodeChief Billy Morin of @maskekosihk_ECN is perhaps one of Alberta's most dynamic and innovative leaders. Hear him share his story, passion for business, and insights on creating a better future for all. #TheBrief #AlbertaBETTER Share this episode
Check us out on social media
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!